Moloto Road death toll plummets since 702 interventionOctober was National Transport Month and in the spirit of LEAD SA, Talk Radio 702 decided to shine a spotlight on the notorious Moloto Road which claims hundreds of lives each year.
During the John Robbie show on Wednesday 17th October, Gauteng Transport MEC Ismail Vadi made a commitment to 702 listeners to address various issues that plague this road in both the short and medium term.
One month on, Talk Radio 702 has re-visited the site to check on progress, which is coming along well and Ashraf Ismail of the National Traffic Police could report that not one fatality has occurred on the road since the broadcast.
Some of the progress that has been made is highlighted here:
• Potholes have been filled, and pothole repair teams are working 24/7 to address new holes as the rainy season progresses.
• Road markings are well underway.
• Shoulder repairing project has leveled the gravel with the tar, in effect widening the road.
• National traffic police are working with various law enforcement bodies to implement high visible policing along the road – a police vehicle every 15km during peak times.
• They have performed 6844 inspections on busses since 17 Oct.
• 120 busses have been discontinued.
• 916 Aarto notices issued, largely for defective tyres, brakes and steering mechanisms.